Wednesday 5 July 2017

My *new* photo book ft. Saal Digitial


I have always loved the idea of photo books, ever since I was a young blog reader and heard all about them from Ashley Ann. It's been a thought in my head for a really long time, that I should get one. I've been really into photography for years now, and have amassed a collection of photos that I really like. So, when I saw that Saal Digital was looking for people to review their photo books, I jumped at the chance. Thankfully, they approved my application, and I was given a £40 voucher to use against a purchase of any of their photo books. The choice was all mine! In the end, I went with a 30-page, A4 book with an off-white linen cover. This currently retails for £44.45, though it was cheaper when I got it as these particular books were on promotion.

Saal Digital is German-owned, and based in Germany. Shipping was £4.95. After designing my photo book, it took a good number of days to produce (linen covers take longer than regular ones) and a few more days to ship out to me. I ended up waiting a week and a half for the product, which is not too bad, but I did hope it would get to me sooner!

Saal Digital has software which you can download and use to create your photo book. I found the controls quite confusing at first, and ultimately opted to have each photo take up a full spread. I'm still glad that I did this, because the overall effect is fantastic, but have since learned that there are numerous templates and styles which you can choose from. Alternatively, you can use your own software to design it. All prices are displayed within the Saal Digital program, so you always know how much you're going to end up spending.


Personally, I'm thrilled with it. The cover is really stunning, and definitely adds to the quality of the product. I chose to have "Zu Hause" along the spine, as this book would not have happened without this blog! I wrote my name on the cover, and chose 15 of my most favourite photos from the blog to be the spreads. I also opted for matte pages because I didn't want that extra shine. Each photo came out really, really well, stunning quality. Some of the photos that I thought I wouldn't like turned out to be my favourites.

I was worried when ordering that the pages might be too thick. The idea is that the company uses "lay flat binding" so that each page can be examined flat. The pages are definitely stiff, but they're amazingly thin, and I'm quite satisfied by them.

Overall, I would highly recommend this company. I would tell you if there was anything wrong with the product, but I seriously cannot fault it! I am delighted to have a physical copy of my work, which I can use as a miniature portfolio, or simply show to my friends and family. My parents are so impressed with it, that they've asked me to compile a family album. I couldn't be more happy with this book, and really wish to thank Saal Digital for allowing me to participate in this review.

There is also a £15 voucher against your first purchase of a photo book should you choose to go with this company.

Have you ever gotten a photo book, or any of your work printed?

Disclaimer: I was sent this product for review by Saal Digital. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

2 comments

  1. It's so cool that you got to put together your own photo book from Saal Digital! The price doesn't sound too bad and the prints look amazing!!! I couldn't really tell that the pages are split. I like how the book is personalized with your name on the spine. The company put a lot of thought into making the pages look flat! Thanks for sharing :)

    https://exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words x

© Zu Hause. Design by FCD.